Kurdish oil export payments continue after referendum

Oct. 12 (UPI) — Gulf Keystone became the second company in as many days to announce payments for oil exported from the Kurdish north of Iraq after its referendum.

Gulf Keystone Petroleum said Thursday it received a gross payment of $15 million from the semiautonomous Kurdistan Regional Government for oil exported from the region’s Shaikan oil field. The payment was for oil exported in June, but comes less than a month after the Kurdish region held a contentious referendum for independence from the rest of Iraq.

Norwegian oil and gas company DNO announced Wednesday it received $39.5 million from the KRG for oil exported from its Tawke field in July. It shared that payment with its operating partner, Genel Energy.

Payments for exports for both companies were more or less on par with previous months.

Companies working in the Kurdish region export oil through a pipeline running north to the Turkish seaport of Ceyhan on the Mediterranean Sea. Export capacity from the Kurdish pipeline is around 300,000 barrels per day.

After the referendum, Turkey said it was considering choking off the flow of oil from the Kurdish north in response to what Ankara viewed as a destabilizing move. So far, there are no indications that Kurdish oil exports or operations have been disrupted. Representatives from Gulf Keystone, DNO and Genel declined to comment about the status of operations.

On Tuesday, the federal Iraqi Oil Ministry called on the North Oil Co. to “speed up the implementation” of a project meant to move oil from a pipeline running from the disputed northern city of Kirkuk. Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi called for a region-wide reconstruction effort after declaring northern Iraqi provinces liberated from the Islamic State, also known as ISIL, ISIS, and Daesh.

The line running from Kirkuk, which the federal government said avoids Kurdish territory, could carry between 250,000 and 400,000 bpd.

Parts of the northern Iraq are considered disputed territories with the KRG.

منبع مطلب : https://www.upi.com/Energy-News/2017/10/12/Kurdish-oil-export-payments-continue-after-referendum/7241507799784/

Oscars to discuss response to Harvey Weinstein allegations

The organisers of the Oscars are to meet to discuss their response to the mounting allegations of sexual harassment against the disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences added its voice to the growing chorus of disgust against the alleged behaviour of a man it awarded a best picture Oscar to in 1999 for producing Shakespeare in Love.

It said it would hold a special meeting on Saturday to discuss allegations against Weinstein amid speculation it could follow Bafta’s lead in suspending his membership.

“The Academy finds the conduct described in the allegations against Harvey Weinstein to be repugnant, abhorrent, and antithetical to the high standards of the Academy and the creative community it represents,” it said in a statement.

On Thursday, French actor Florence Darel became the latest star to accuse the producer of sexual harassment.

Darel, 49, who first came to notice in Éric Rohmer’s A Tale of Springtime in 1990, told French media that Weinstein had promised to help make her big in America if she became his “part-time” mistress.

She said she first had to reject his advances after Weinstein’s company Miramax bought the 1993 fashion industry comedy À La Mode in which she appeared.

“We had a little premiere in New York and he wouldn’t stop calling me so that I would come to the party afterwards. Because I could see what he was up to, I pretended that I was with the lead actor in the film so he would leave me alone,” she told Le Parisien newspaper.

The following year, pushed by her agent, she agreed to meet Weinstein in a Paris hotel.

“He talked to me about a film he wanted to make about World War II and then he began to tell me that he found me very attractive and wanted to have an affair with me,” Darel added.

“I told him I was very much in love with my partner, but he said that that didn’t worry him and he wanted me to be his mistress for a few days a year. That way we could work together. Basically, he said that if I wanted to make it in America, it would be through him,” the actor said.

“I told him I had to go and left,” she added.

Darel joins a string of other high-profile actors, including Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie, Léa Seydoux and Cara Delevingne, who have accused the producer of sexual harassment or assault. Three women have accused Weinstein of rape.

Weinstein denies allegations of non-consensual sex. In a statement issued on Wednesday in response to his wife’s decision to leave him following the allegations, Weinstein said: “I support her decision, I am in counselling and perhaps, when I am better, we can rebuild. Over the last week, there has been a lot of pain for my family that I take responsibility for.”

In video footage published on Wednesday, Weinstein told reporters: “Guys, I’m not doing OK but I’m trying. I gotta get help… You know, we all make mistakes….second chance I hope.”

The film industry is facing questions about why it did not act earlier to censure Weinstein. His reputation for sexual harassment was such an open secret in Hollywood that it was the source of sitcom jokes and a knowing reference at an Academy Awards nomination ceremony.

Announcing the nominees for best supporting actress in 2013, the comedian Seth MacFarlane said: “Congratulations, you five ladies no longer have to pretend to be attracted to Harvey Weinstein.”

MacFarlane confirmed the joke was prompted by allegations made by Jessica Barth, one of more than a dozen women who have recounted sexual harassment by Weinstein.

Seth MacFarlane
(@SethMacFarlane)

pic.twitter.com/z8cyxrd693


October 11, 2017

The Palme d’Or-winning actor Seydoux also joined the ranks of Weinstein’s accusers this week, saying she had to defend herself after he allegedly jumped on her and tried to kiss her.

Writing in the Guardian, the star of Blue is the Warmest Coloursaid Weinstein stared at her “as if I was a piece of meat”.

She added: “We were talking on the sofa when he suddenly jumped on me and tried to kiss me. I had to defend myself. He’s big and fat, so I had to be forceful to resist him.”

British supermodel Delevingne also claimed Weinstein made unwelcome advances towards her in a hotel room.

In a statement posted on Instagram she said she was left feeling “very powerless and scared” when he invited her to his hotel room and tried to make her kiss a woman.

On Wednesday night, police in Los Angeles were called to a “family dispute” at the home of Weinstein’s daughter, a day after his British wife, Georgina Chapman, said she was leaving him over the allegations.

The Los Angeles police department said Weinstein was not there when officers arrived and no crime had been committed.

منبع مطلب : https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/12/oscars-discuss-response-harvey-weinstein-allegations

Pentagon looking into report ISIS ‘White Widow’ Sally Jones killed in US drone strike

According to a report by the Sun, British woman Sally Jones was killed while trying to escape Raqqa.

“The Americans zapped her trying to get away from Raqqa. Quite frankly, it’s good riddance,”the Sun quoted a Whitehall source as saying. 

The Sun’s article claims that the CIA told their British counterparts that Jones had been killed by a Predator drone strike.

There are fears that the strike might have also killed her 12-year-old son Joe ‘Jojo’ Dixon. The Sun’s sources said ‘Jojo’ was not specifically targeted in the strike, and it would have been called off if he had been known to be in the vicinity.

The Pentagon, however, declined to confirm the report of Jones’ death officially.

“I do not have any information that would substantiate that report but that could change and we are looking into this,” Pentagon spokesman Major Adrian Rankine-Galloway was quoted as saying by the Guardian

There was no immediate comment from the CIA either.

Jones, who was the lead guitarist of an all-girl rock-band in the 1990s, left her home in Kent to join the terrorists in Syria with her husband Junaid Hussain back in 2013.

The couple were reportedly involved in planning IS attacks, and were considered to be among the organization’s most effective western recruiters. Hussain was killed in a US drone strike in 2015.

‘Most wanted’ British jihadist bride now ‘desperate’ to flee ISIS, return to UK

Jones used her social media accounts to recruit women for IS and was giving practical tips on how to travel to Syria. She also encouraged IS sympathizers to carry out attacks in the UK, reportedly offering practical guidance.

The “white widow” was also reportedly in charge of training European female fighters, or “muhajirat,” in Raqqa, according to British broadsheet the Telegraph.

منبع مطلب : https://www.rt.com/uk/406442-sally-jones-killed-syria-drone-strike/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Turkish, US officials to meet over diplomatic dispute – Deputy PM

Turkish and US officials have agreed to meet to work on resolving a diplomatic dispute between the two NATO allies, Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag said on Thursday. Talks between the foreign ministers were constructive, Reuters quoted Bozdag as saying. Bozdag told broadcaster Haberturk that a US consulate employee arrested in Turkey “had not demanded lawyer access” and the US mission could apply to send a lawyer to see him.

منبع مطلب : https://www.rt.com/newsline/406444-turkish-us-officials-meet/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Paris to ban combustion-engine cars by 2030 – City Hall

Paris authorities plan by 2030 to ban all combustion-engine cars, including those fuelled by both diesel and petrol, according to an official at Paris City Hall. “This is about planning for the long term with a strategy that will reduce greenhouse gases,” Christophe Najdovski, an official responsible for transport policy at the office of Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo, said on Thursday. “Transport is one of the main greenhouse gas producers… so we are planning an exit from combustion engine vehicles, or fossil-energy vehicles, by 2030,” Najdovski told France Info radio. Cars that run on electricity would not be affected, Reuters said.

منبع مطلب : https://www.rt.com/newsline/406441-paris-ban-combustion-cars/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Kurdistan ‘ready for talks’ with Iraq on airports, border posts, banks

The Kurdistan regional government is willing to hold talks with the federal government of Iraq about a dispute over Kurdish airports, border posts and banks, Reuters reports, citing a statement published overnight. The central government in Baghdad has taken measures to isolate the Kurdish region in the country’s north after it voted for independence in a referendum held last month.

منبع مطلب : https://www.rt.com/newsline/406440-kurdistan-iraq-airports-banks/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Just Eat acquisition of Hungyhouse gets provisional approval from competition watchdog

The competition watchdog has given its provisional seal of approval to Just Eat’s £200m takeover of Hungryhouse.

The two app-based food ordering services agreed on the tie-up in December last year.

On Thursday, the Competition and Markets Authority said that it had decided that the deal does not raise competition concerns.

“The group found that Hungryhouse presently provides limited competition to Just Eat because it is much smaller in size and offers too few unique restaurants, making it increasingly difficult for Hungryhouse to attract and retain consumers,” it said.

“Furthermore, it found that the industry is evolving rapidly following the entry of platforms, such as Deliveroo, UberEATS and Amazon, which also manage or facilitate delivery services on behalf of restaurants. These companies generally present a greater competitive challenge to Just Eat than Hungryhouse, and this is likely to grow as they expand,” it added.

The CMA said that it was now asking for views on these provisional findings and that it would assess all the evidence before making a final decision.

Both companies welcomed the decision.

“We look forward to continuing to deploy our technology and expertise to help more independent restaurants develop and grow their businesses, while offering an even better service to consumers,” London-headquartered Just Eat, which is listed on the FTSE 250 stock index, said.

Delivery Hero, the German company that currently owns Hungryhouse, in a separate brief statement also said that it welcomed the CMA’s decision. 

منبع مطلب : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/just-eat-acquisition-merger-hungryhouse-provisional-approval-competition-and-markets-authority-a7995981.html

Italian woman granted sick pay to look after her dog

An Italian woman has been granted sick pay after taking time off to care for her ill dog. 

The unnamed academic, from Rome’s La Sapienza University, brought her fight to the courts arguing she deserved to be compensated for the two days she had taken to care for her pet. 

Her lawyers cited Italy’s strict animal protection laws, which say people who abandon an animal to “grave suffering” should be jailed for a year and fined up to €10,000 (£9,000), according to La Pressa.

A judge accepted the lawyers’ case, and ordered the university to count her two days off under an employee allowance for absences related to “serious or family personal reasons”.

The Italian Anti-Vivisection League (LAV), one of the biggest animal rights groups in Europe, mounted the woman’s case for her. 

President Gianluca Felicetti said the ruling paved the way for pets to be recognised as “members of the family”.

“It is a significant step forward that recognised that animals that are not kept for financial gain or their working ability are effectively members of the family,” he said. 

“Now, with the necessary veterinary certification, those in the same situation will be able to cite this important precedent.”

منبع مطلب : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italian-woman-sick-pay-look-after-dog-granted-rome-la-sapienza-university-a7995976.html