Burberry’s Christopher Bailey to leave iconic British brand

FILE – In this Saturday, June 23, 2012, file photo, British fashion designer Christopher Bailey receives applause from the audience after presenting Burberry Prorsum, from the men’s Spring-Summer 2013 collection, part of the Milan Fashion Week, in Milan, Italy. Burberry’s chief creative officer and president will be leaving the company by the end of 2018. The luxury retailer said Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2017 that Christopher Bailey has decided it was time to “pursue new creative projects.” (AP Photo/Luca Bruno, file)

منبع مطلب : http://tdn.com/business/burberry-s-christopher-bailey-to-leave-iconic-british-brand/article_b09e9947-2e43-501d-8ef1-39d6fcc3589f.html

Israel-UAE no handshake incident at judo tournament leads to apology

The incident occurred last Friday at the Abu Dhabi Judo Grand Slam when a UAE athlete, Rashad Almashjari, snubbed a handshake with Israel’s Tohar Butbul, an eventual bronze medalist, following their first-round bout in the men’s lightweight category.

The president of the UAE’s Judo Federation, Mohammad Bin Thaloub Al-Darei, apologized for Almashjari’s controversial behavior and shook hands with Israel Judo Association President Moshe Ponte at a meeting that took place on Saturday in Abu Dhabi.

“This was a gesture of courage, humanity and respect for the sport,” said Marius Vizer, the head of the International Judo Federation (IJF), who took part in the meeting.       

“[They] apologized because of the UAE athletes not shaking hands with the Israel athletes and also congratulated the Israel team for their success here,” CNN reported.

The tournament was staged against the backdrop of political tensions between Israel and the UAE, who don’t have diplomatic and economic relations as the majority of Arab state governments don’t recognize Israel as a state.

Israel’s national symbols, including the flag and anthem, were prohibited at the judo tournament in Abu Dhabi, where Israeli athletes were named representatives of the IJF.

Israeli team members were not allowed to wear judo uniforms depicting symbols of their nationality despite numerous efforts by the IJF to ensure equal treatment of all delegations at the tournament.

Five Israeli medal winners were greeted by the official music of the IJF during award ceremonies, where the organization’s banner was raised instead of the national flag.

A similar incident happened at the last year’s Olympic Games in Brazil, when Egyptian judoka Islam El Shehaby refused to shake the hand of his Israeli opponent, Or Sasson, following their bout.

Back then, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided to exclude El Shehaby from the rest of the tournament.

منبع مطلب : https://www.rt.com/sport/408389-israel-uae-no-handshake-incident/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

‘Cowardly act of terror’: Officials react to Manhattan truck attack that killed at least 8

New York Police Commissioner James O’Neill called the incident “a tragedy of the widest magnitude.”

Mayor de Blasio called the attack a “cowardly act of terror” and said the city was enduring a “painful day.”

“We know that this action was intended to break our spirit, but we also know New Yorkers are strong,” de Blasio said. “Our spirit will never be moved by an act of violence, and act of terror.”

Governor Cuomo said that the suspect is a “lone wolf” and that there is “no evidence to suggest a wider plot or a wider scheme.”

He added that there will be more police “everywhere,” but said that it was not because there is any evidence there will be “any additional threat,” but said that they were being deployed “out of vigilance and out of caution.”

Commissioner O’Neil said that the 29-year-old suspect exited the vehicle “brandishing two handguns” and was shot by a nearby police officer in the abdomen. He said that a paintball gun and a pellet gun were recovered at the scene.

When asked if the suspect said “Allah Akbar” when he exited the vehicle, O’Neil confirmed that he “did make a comment.”

De Blasio told residents to go about their business, and O’Neil said that the annual Halloween parade in New York City will continue as planned.

Police have confirmed that the incident began just after 3:00pm, when the suspect drove onto the bike path at West Street Houston Street. While driving south, the truck hit a school bus near Chambers Street and the man exited holding two firearms.

An officer that was assigned to the area shot the suspect in the stomach and the police later recovered a paintball gun and pellet gun at the scene.

President Donald Trump tweeted, “In NYC, looks like another attack by a very sick and deranged person. Law enforcement is following this closely. NOT IN THE U.S.A.!”

منبع مطلب : https://www.rt.com/usa/408388-officials-react-manhattan-truck-terrorist-attack/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

New York mayor confirms truck attack was act of terror

New York Police Commissioner James O’Neill called the incident “a tragedy of the widest magnitude.”

Mayor de Blasio called the attack a “cowardly act of terror” and said the city was enduring a “painful day.”

“We know that this action was intended to break our spirit, but we also know New Yorkers are strong,” de Blasio said. “Our spirit will never be moved by an act of violence, and act of terror.”

Governor Cuomo said that the suspect is a “lone wolf” and that there is “no evidence to suggest a wider plot or a wider scheme.”

He added that there will be more police “everywhere,” but said that it was not because there is any evidence there will be “any additional threat,” but said that they were being deployed “out of vigilance and out of caution.”

Commissioner O’Neil said that the 29-year-old suspect exited the vehicle “brandishing two handguns” and was shot by a nearby police officer in the abdomen. He said that a paintball gun and a pellet gun were recovered at the scene.

When asked if the suspect said “Allah Akbar” when he exited the vehicle, O’Neil confirmed that he “did make a comment.”

De Blasio told residents to go about their business, and O’Neil said that the annual Halloween parade in New York City will continue as planned.

Police have confirmed that the incident began just after 3:00pm, when the suspect drove onto the bike path at West Street Houston Street. While driving south, the truck hit a school bus near Chambers Street and the man exited holding two firearms.

An officer that was assigned to the area shot the suspect in the stomach and the police later recovered a paintball gun and pellet gun at the scene.

President Donald Trump tweeted, “In NYC, looks like another attack by a very sick and deranged person. Law enforcement is following this closely. NOT IN THE U.S.A.!”

منبع مطلب : https://www.rt.com/usa/408387-nypd-truck-attack-terror/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Theresa May faces 'binding vote' to force release of 58 secret studies on Brexit's economic damage

Pressure is building on Theresa May to release 58 secret studies into the economic damage from Brexit, as a binding vote looms in the Commons.

Labour believes it is found an ancient Parliamentary procedure that can force the Prime Minister to end her suppression of the findings.

It comes as the number of MPs demanding the release of the information reached 178. Campaigners have also threatened legal action.

The studies cover experts’ verdicts of the likely impact of different scenarios for leaving the EU on different sectors comprising no less than 88 per cent of the economy.

Now Labour says it has found a way to prevent the Government ignoring a defeat on an issue on the Commons floor – as it did recently over the universal credit shake-up.

Parliamentary rules, dating back to the 19th century, say MPs have the power to demand papers “which are in the possession of ministers” by passing a motion.

The idea is that the studies would be released to the Brexit Select Committee, which would review them and decide which information should be put in the public domain.

Crucially – because Erskine May, the parliamentary bible – regards such a vote as binding, the Conservatives will not be able to sit on their hands when it is staged on Wednesday, Labour says.

It means the Tories, lacking a Commons majority, are likely to require the support of the Democratic Unionist Party, in order to win.

Sir Keir Starmer, Labour’s Brexit spokesman, said: “Ministers cannot keep withholding vital information from Parliament about the impact of Brexit on jobs and the economy.

“At the start of the negotiations, Theresa May said everyone needed certainty during the Brexit process and that the vote to leave was a vote for Parliament to take back control.

“If those words meant anything at all, then she should stop sidelining Parliament and give MPs the information they need to properly hold the Government to account in what are undoubtedly the most important negotiations since the Second World War.”

Ministers have insisted they cannot publish the studies because doing so could weaken the UK’s negotiating position, but the argument has been widely dismissed.

There was ridicule when the Department for Exiting the European Union (DexEU) claimed those negotiations had to be conducted in a “safe space”.

The Treasury Select Committee, chaired by former Conservative cabinet minister Nicky Morgan, is also expected to discuss whether its members should be allowed to see the findings.

And Seema Malhotra, the Labour MP, will appeal against a refusal to provide the reports – into everything from food prices, tourism and banking to aerospace, pharmaceuticals, oil and steel – under the Freedom of Information Act.

Sir Vince Cable, the Liberal Democrat leader, added his voice to the criticism, saying: “The Government is desperately trying to hide the true impact of an extreme Brexit from the public.

“Ministers need to come clean and publish these reports immediately.”

The news comes as 178 MPs from five political parties called on the Government to release the reports, The Independent can reveal. 

Dominic Grieve, former Attorney General and the Tory MP for Beaconsfield, is one of those who is urging the Government to make the contents of the 58 studies public and said he “believes the release of the Brexit Impact reports would be most desirable”.

Caroline Lucas, co-leader of the Green Party, said it was “completely unacceptable” for the public to not be given all the information from the reports. 

“The Government must stop hiding behind this veil of secrecy and release these reports immediately. Ministers love to talk about how they are handing power to people by pursuing Brexit – yet they refuse to be honest about the potential impacts of this process. Such secrecy utterly betrays the trust of the British people,” Ms Lucas told The Independent.

“It’s completely unacceptable that people aren’t being given the full facts, and I urge ministers to release these reports now.”

Eloise Todd, CEO of Best for Britain, the political campaign group that compiled the list of MPs, urged parliamentarians to “vote for transparency and democracy”.  

“The public has been asking MPs from all parties to release these studies, all of which have been paid for by taxpayers’ money and which contain essential information about the costs and risks of Brexit.

“The fact a vote had to be called to force the release of these studies shows just how under threat our democracy has become. Citizens across the UK will be watching how their MPs vote – and we’ll make sure we tell them. MPs from all parties must make the right choice and vote for transparency and democracy and release the Brexit reports.”

The Government had initially chosen not to release a list of the 58 sectors where studies have been carried out, until finally doing so on Monday night.

A DexEU spokesman said: “There is a strong public interest in policymaking associated with our exit from the EU being of the highest quality and conducted in a safe space to allow for design and deliberation to be done in private.”

Ministers also claim that Parliament voted to keep under wraps any documents that could undermine attempts to negotiate the best deal for Britain. 

But Labour has seized on an extract from Erskine May that states: “Each House has the power to call for the production of papers by means of a motion … the power to send for papers by means of a motion for unopposed return extends to papers which are in the possession of ministers or which ministers have the authority to obtain.”

The power was “frequently exercised until about the middle of the 19th century”, but has been required only rarely in modern times, as governments have become more open.

منبع مطلب : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-uk-eu-economy-damage-secret-studies-pressure-release-a8029991.html

New York attack suspect 'made statement' after killing at least eight with truck

The suspect who rammed his car into pedestrians in downtown New York City is said to have made a “statement” after leaving his truck.

During a news conference, Police Commissioner James O’Neill was asked whether the suspect shouted the phrase “Allahu Akbar”, which means “God is great” in Arabic, or something like it

“Yeah. He did make a statement when he exited the vehicle,” Mr O’Neill replied, though he declined to confirm the words used.

“The MO [modus operandi] of the attack is consistent with what has been going on,” he added. 

More follows…

منبع مطلب : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-york-attack-statement-suspect-latest-terrorism-truck-deaths-manhattan-a8030471.html

New York attack suspect 'made statement' after killing at least eight with truck

We’ve noticed that you are using an ad blocker.

Advertising helps fund our journalism and keep it truly independent. It helps to build our international editorial team, from war correspondents to investigative reporters, commentators to critics.

Click here to view instructions on how to disable your ad blocker, and help us to keep providing you with free-thinking journalism – for free.

Thank you for your support.

منبع مطلب : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-york-attack-statement-suspect-latest-terrorism-truck-deaths-manhattan-a8030466.html